Re: udev naming problems for eth*

also sprach Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias <egallego@babel.ls.fi.upm.es> [2006.01.18.1254 +0100]:
> As far as I can tell, network interface names are given by the
> kernel and they've nothing to do with udev.
>
> To get a stable naming you should use some package like ifrename.

ifrename is a hack and needed for 2.4 kernels only these days. udev
can certainly rename interfaces, though I don't know what the OP's
problem is. I'd suggest talking to a udev-related list, or at least
to debian-user, for this isn't really something to do with -devel.

Anyway, this is what I use on one of my machines, and it works like
a charm:

  KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:10:dc:c8:85:07", NAME="lan"

I suggest not using NAME="ethX" because there may be name clashes.
Use a completely different name instead.

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"if you are going to run a rinky-dink distro made by a couple of
 volunteers, why not run a rinky-dink distro made by a lot of
 volunteers?"
                                                    -- jaldhar h. vyas