Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Given that python-minimal is Essential: yes in Ubuntu, the *only*
> use for this package in Debian (given that there would be no
> packages in the wild that depend on it -- the definition of Essential
> is that you don't need to depend on it) is if we make it Essential: yes
> as well.

I don't see why.  If python-minimal were included in Debian then some
packages that currently Depend on python could (if their needs are
minimal) Depend on python-minimal instead.  This would be an improvement,
and obtaining this benefit does not require that python-minimal be
Essential: yes in Debian.

In any case I am hoping to see python-minimal included in Debian.
--
Thomas Hood