Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:10:25AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Joe Wreschnig writes:

> > > python-minimal is about two megabytes installed, with no non-Essential
> > > dependencies.

> > > (strictly an observation of fact; I'm not expressing an opinion either way
> > > about the change)

> > The python-minimal I see depends on all of python2.3. In Ubuntu perhaps
> > it's 2MB, but in Debian right now it's almost all of Python.

> correct, the change was made to introduce the package name, so that
> the package doesn't stick in the NEW queue, when we actually do the
> change. two other packages were introduced, so it only needs to be
> approved one time by the FTP masters.

Er... "when we actually do the change"?  Given that python-minimal is
Essential: yes in Ubuntu, the *only* use for this package in Debian (given
that there would be no packages in the wild that depend on it -- the
definition of Essential is that you don't need to depend on it) is if we
make it Essential: yes as well.  Are you claiming that adoption of
python-minimal as an Essential package is a foregone conclusion?