Re: Debian derivatives and the Maintainer: field (again)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:32:20PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> writes:
>
> >> Have they modified these packages?
> >
> > Some of them, yes. Mostly the backports.
>
> What happens to the maintainer field in these cases?

I haven't seen any that have been changed.

> Certainly, if they are modifying the packages, I would think the same
> there here applies as in the case of Ubuntu: they should reset the
> Maintainer field to point to themselves, and continue to give credit
> to the Debian developer in a suitable fashion.

The founder of Debian seems to disagree, but still. The DCCA situation
suggests that we need to define exactly what we want and make it clear
to all derived distributions that this is what we expect. This isn't
something that only affects Ubuntu - we're talking about a large number
of fairly major distributions.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org