Re: Trivial bug on apt-file (Was : Re: Development standards for unstable)

Jesus Climent wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:07:02PM -0600, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
>>There are technical ways to solve the problem (e.g. to depend on
>>wget|curl and to detect which one is available at start up).
>>
>>If the mainatiner is willing to give more input than 'it is not a bug'
>>on what behaviour he would accept, we can probably come up with a patch.
>

> That would be an ideal solution, which was already proposed in
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=307833;msg=75

Indeed, though I think it's rather another wishlist bug...

> And was responded on a mail (dunno remember if to the bug, to d-d or on IRC)
> that the user can utilize several other download managers, but that defeats
> the whole purpose of having it done automatically. Besides, if that is the
> case, the maintainer can find the most common downloaders and put them as |
> dependencies, and receive patches to add config snipets for the most common
> case.

and this answers IMHO what the maintainer wants a patch for: a system
that would work with all download managers.

> Depending on some basic utilities (wget is installed by default on a debian
> system) and not providing a simple check for finding the one which is already
> installed and use it, instead of giving an error that does not explain the
> nature of the problem (heh,
> [ -x $(which curl) ] || { echo "install curl or modify /pathtoconf" ; exit 1;}
> would do it) is nonsensical.
>
> The current intent to NMU is not solving the problem, since depending in
> wget|curl and having to modify the config file leads to the same problem if
> the config points to curl and the user has wget.

The current intent to NMU is proposing curl | wget which doesn't need
any modification to the config file if curl is installed. Though you're
right that you still need to change the config file when curl is not
installed. This is IMHO however not a *severe* bug as some packages need
configuration if you don't choose to use the default.

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D