Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 3

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:49:14AM -0600, Bill Allombert wrote:
> [...]

> > I've read that bug before and I appreciate the time you've spent in
> > chasing down these upgrade issues but I think you're generalising too
> > far from that bug to a conclusion that any given trivial dependency loop
> > will cause similar problems.

> > > and that apt was not able to deal with that optimally.  In the end we
> > > were not able to fix the problem, because we could not fix woody and
> > > sarge apt did not fare better anyway.

> > Although sarge's aptitude did..

> I don't know, there were no ways to upgrade to sarge's aptitude.

> > > The situation is too complex to
> > > expect the software to make the optimal solution of what should be
> > > removed to allow upgrade.

> > I'm not so sure, have you seen the work that's been done recently on
> > aptitude's problem resolver?

> After sarge released ? no. However the upgrade path of aptitude itself
> is problematic. We should probably provide a statically linked
> (at least the C++ libs) to ease upgrade.

> In my current sarge to etch upgrade test, I installed the first 1000
> packages by alphabetic order (minus conflicts, plus dependencies)
> and tried to upgrade. aptitude dist-upgrade give:
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   abiword-doc acl2 acl2-books acl2-emacs acl2-infix akregator-i18n
>   akregator-konq-plugin akregator-kontact-plugin alex alsa-headers amarok
>   amarok-arts amarok-engines amarok-gstreamer amarok-xine aqsis aqsis-libs
>   aqsis-libs-dev ardour-gtk aspell-bin aspell-br aspell-cy aspell-da
>   aspell-de aspell-de-alt aspell-el aspell-en aspell-es aspell-fi aspell-fo
>   aspell-fr aspell-ga aspell-gl-minimos aspell-is aspell-it aspell-lt
>   aspell-nl aspell-no aspell-pl aspell-pt aspell-pt-br aspell-sk aspell-sl
>   aspell-sv aspell-tl aspell-ukr axiom axiom-graphics axiom-hypertex
>   axiom-test basket beecrypt2 beecrypt2-dev bibletime bibletime-i18n
>   bitscope brahms capplets castle-combat-data caudium-pixsl cduce g77-3.3
>   gdk-imlib1-dev ghc5 jackd kdelibs4 lam4 libafterstep0 libaiksaurus-data
>   libaiksaurus0c102 libaiksaurusgtk0c102 libardour0 libarkrpg libarts1
>   libclalsadrv libconfigwin-ocaml-dev libcurl3-dev libenchant1 libfam0c102
>   libfltk1.1c102 libgengameng4 libglibmm-2.4-1 libgmp3
>   libgpattern-ocaml-dev libgtkmm-2.4-1 libgtkmm1.2-0 libgtkmmext0
>   libgtop2-2 libid3-3.8.3 libjack0.80.0-dev libkcal2a libkdenetwork2
>   libkdepim1 liblablgtk-ocaml liblablgtk-ocaml-dev libmagick++6
>   libmlchat-ocaml-dev libmodplug0 libmpich1.0 libmyspell3
>   libocamlcvs-ocaml-dev libokey-ocaml-dev libopenexr2 liboptions-ocaml-dev
>   libopts9 libopts9-dev libosp4 libostyle1 libplot2 libpstoedit0
>   libqt3c102-mt libreport-ocaml-dev libsigc++-2.0-0 libsoundtouch1 libsp1
>   libtag1 libtiffxx0 libwpd-stream8 libwpd8 mlchat ocaml-ioxml ocaml-omom
>   ocaml-zoggy odbcinst1
> After unpacking 150MB will be freed.
> This look like a bit much.
> (actually aptitude while try to remove 11 packages more than apt-get).
> Simply upgrading aptitude cause adduser-ng to be removed.

What does aptitude give as the breakdown between unused packages being
automatically removed, and packages being removed that you actually
requested installed?

In spite of the large number of packages removed, almost all of these are
packages that are not in etch...  From a-c, only these packages are in your
removal list and also in testing at present:  ardour-gtk aspell-br aspell-cy
aspell-da aspell-de aspell-de-alt aspell-el aspell-en aspell-es aspell-fi
aspell-fr aspell-ga aspell-gl-minimos aspell-is aspell-it aspell-lt
aspell-nl aspell-no aspell-pl aspell-pt aspell-pt-br aspell-sk aspell-sl
aspell-sv aspell-ukr bitscope caudium-pixsl

So, counting the aspell issue as one, that looks like a total of 4 upgrade
problems.  Which is four too many, but not as bad as it looks based on the
output alone. :)