Re: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265920

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 03:08, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> why the xxxx can't you?

I can accept the fact that people complain about bugs / missing enhancements
on all kinds of mailing lists, bug tracking systems, feature request
documents and similiar. I however can not accept that when they report it to
some random place expect the KDE maintainers to waste their time on searching
it somewhere and finding it. And I am upset about people after a while then
asking those KDE maintainers why the hell they didn't bother fixing their
problem.

> 1) write a program to sabotage bugs.debian.org or a subsection of it.

Its not my intention at all to sabotage bugs.debian.org. Its a great bug
tracking system and its open, and it often contains great ressource of
information. I even use it from time to time (mostly reading though) :)

> 2) write a program that slurps bugs of certain debian package names and
> duplicates the contents in the kde bugs.

No. Its the job of the debian maintainer and/or the original reporter to
forward their reports upstream when its an upstream issue.

> the basic principle: allow bugs to be searched across
> multiple systems (not just your own system); allow a bug to
> be transferred by the thingies.  bug maintainer people.  for them
> with one easy push-of-a-browser-button say "here.  _you_ deal with it".

Oh, thats a great suggestion, I'd even support you in implementing it. There
is actually a trace-back-kinda functionality being implemented for bugzilla
like systems I believe. Ah, the debian bugtracking system doesn't use
bugzilla btw.

> ahh, why didnt' _you_ think of some of these ideas

Relax, nobody is being pissed. You just have to realize that if you tell
person A about a problem, person B doesn't magically get notified about it.
This is not different than in other situations in real life.

Dirk//\