Re: poppler

Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>>>    poppler (#344738), orphaned 4 days ago
>>>      Reverse Depends: libpoppler-glib-dev libpoppler-dev abiword-plugins
>>>        libpoppler-qt-dev libkpathsea4 evince libpoppler0c2-qt tetex-bin
>>>        libpoppler0c2-glib
>>
>> ... and hopefully some more in the future.  There are a couple of
>> packages with copies of xpdf code in them (different minor versions, of
>> course...), and they have been an annoying source of work every time a
>> security issue pops up in xpdf.  As we (or rather Martin Pitt) have
>> shown with tetex-bin, switching to poppler is quite easy; but for that
>> the package should be well maintained.
>
> These source packages embed xpdf source and should be fixed to use poppler
> if possible:
>
> gpdf
> pdftohtml
> kdegraphics (kpdf)
> koffice
> libextractor

AFAIK, poppler was created by the freedesktop people specifically in
order to replace xpdf code in Gnome and KDE applications.  Therefore I
expect that at least kpdf an gpdf, and probably koffice will link
against poppler in a new release (and already do in CVS?)

> cupsys also embeds xpdf source, but uses xpdf-utils for current versions.

Yes, so this is not an issue for Debian currently, but it might be good
to urge upstream to do the switch.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster