Re: poppler

Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>>>    poppler (#344738), orphaned 4 days ago
>>>      Reverse Depends: libpoppler-glib-dev libpoppler-dev abiword-plugins
>>>        libpoppler-qt-dev libkpathsea4 evince libpoppler0c2-qt tetex-bin
>>>        libpoppler0c2-glib
>> ... and hopefully some more in the future.  There are a couple of
>> packages with copies of xpdf code in them (different minor versions, of
>> course...), and they have been an annoying source of work every time a
>> security issue pops up in xpdf.  As we (or rather Martin Pitt) have
>> shown with tetex-bin, switching to poppler is quite easy; but for that
>> the package should be well maintained.
> These source packages embed xpdf source and should be fixed to use poppler
> if possible:
> gpdf
> pdftohtml
> kdegraphics (kpdf)
> koffice
> libextractor

AFAIK, poppler was created by the freedesktop people specifically in
order to replace xpdf code in Gnome and KDE applications.  Therefore I
expect that at least kpdf an gpdf, and probably koffice will link
against poppler in a new release (and already do in CVS?)

> cupsys also embeds xpdf source, but uses xpdf-utils for current versions.

Yes, so this is not an issue for Debian currently, but it might be good
to urge upstream to do the switch.

Regards, Frank
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich