Re: gconf transition

Le vendredi 06 janvier 2006 à 14:28 -0600, Alejandro Bonilla a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded Sid and rebooted, after that, logging into Gnome told me if I
> wanted to migrate to a Single file that will give me better performance, so of
> course I said yes. It logged me off and everytime that I need to log back in,
> it kicks me out.

In fact it has nothing to do with the schema migration.

> /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2: error while loading shared
> libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or dir

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a perfect example of why linking indirect
dependencies is a very bad thing. Let me explain.

Of all binaries shipped with GConf, gconf-sanity-check is the only one
using GTK+. The only application using gconf-sanity-check is
gnome-session. On first sight, it looks safe to exclude
gconf-sanity-check for the computation of gconf dependencies, as
gnome-session will always require libgtk2.0-0, and gconf-sanity-check
isn't susceptible to use any symbols that could be added to GTK+.

Now, let's have a look at gconf-sanity-check:
  NEEDED      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libXrandr.so.2
  NEEDED      libXi.so.6
  NEEDED      libXinerama.so.1
  NEEDED      libXext.so.6
  NEEDED      libatk-1.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libXcursor.so.1
  NEEDED      libpango-1.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libcairo.so.2
  NEEDED      libpng12.so.0
  NEEDED      libfontconfig.so.1
  NEEDED      libfreetype.so.6
  NEEDED      libXrender.so.1
  NEEDED      libX11.so.6
  NEEDED      libxml2.so.2
  NEEDED      libz.so.1
  NEEDED      libgconf-2.so.4
  NEEDED      libORBit-2.so.0
  NEEDED      libpopt.so.0
  NEEDED      libgobject-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libm.so.6
  NEEDED      libgmodule-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libdl.so.2
  NEEDED      libgthread-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libpthread.so.0
  NEEDED      libglib-2.0.so.0
  NEEDED      libc.so.6

The only libraries from which it actually uses symbols are libgconf2,
libgtk-x11, libglib and libc.

Now, as the dependencies of libgtk2.0-0 change, when the GTK+ backend
changes, they're still required while not being really needed, but the
program will nevertheless crash upon startup when not finding them.

You can now thank pkg-config and libtool.

I'm going to fix this right away, thanks for the report.

Regards,