Re: bits from the release team

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:13:08AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:43:28PM -0500, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> >

> > Why don't we use RHEL's kernel, or collaborate with them to maintain a
> > stable kernel tree, or something?

Have you ever actually _used_ a RH kernel / SuSE kernel. Because of
their build processes and because each distributor wants to build
in patches etc. they are hell to rebuild / upgrade.

> Why doesn't debian really collaborate with ubuntu on the kernels, which would
> be more natural. Debian use mostly the mainline upstream kernels, which is
> where everything goes back in anyway, so ...

Ubuntu and Debian can readily share the same kernel maintenance team
if it suits. The problem is - the release cycle of Ubuntu every six
months means it probably won't suit :(

If there is long term support / enterprise server support for an
Ubuntu release (which is planned for next October's release) then this
problem may go away and we may be able to come to some agreement.

Better to use a tested and stable kernel in stable whenever it is
released rather than trying to synch to current kernels sometime too
close to release time just for the sake of releasing a semi-current
kernel. Two months/four months/six months - provided
its stable it doesn't matter how old it is at the precise moment
of release.

All IMHO

Andy
Andy