Maintaining a debian package

Hi there!
I'm currently developing an application for library management (real books,
CDs, etc). I'd like to distribute it over the internet, because I think it
could be useful to other users. As I'm using debian and like it pretty
much, I'd like to add it to the list of packages that debian oficially
provides. The first problem is, that I don't know how to create
debian-packages. I even have a lot of problems when creating a distribution
with automake and autoconf. Well, I'm going to learn it (at least, I hope
so :)). I'd like to know more about the process of how packages are added
to the official debian package list.

Thanks in advance,
        Andi Drebes

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language...