Re: New version of kernel-package to create image packages using debconf

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:49:38 +0900, Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> said:

> Hi,
>> A new version of kernel-package is imminent, it is undergoing boot
>> camp out in experimental.

> Congratulations; nice to see some hot action :)

> I've been pondering on using kernel-package to generate debug
> 'vmlinux' images which are used in tools like kernel crash dump
> analysis tools and oprofile[1].

> Currently I'm running 'make vmlinux' after generating a package, but
> it would be convenient if 'vmlinux' is included somewhere like
> /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux (which seems to be the
> case with RedHat[2]).

        Support for this is already there -- if the config var
 install_vmlinux is set, and your architectures make snippet defines
 where to find the vmlinux, and where to install it, you are done.

        So, just provide data about kelfimagesrc and kelfimagedest for
 files in /usr/share/kernel-package/rulesets/arches/, and then anyone
 can set install_vmlinux to get the end result.

        manoj
--
O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.