Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

Andreas Fester <Andreas.Fester@gmx.de> writes:

> My impression is that the process of becoming a developer is very hard,
> both for the applicant but also for the Application Managers. If someone
> contributed to the project continously for a long time, then decides to
> apply for New Maintainer which then takes another year (I dont know if
> this is the usual case), this could be frustrating.

It really isn't *hard*, though.  That's the thing.  If you've worked with
Debian for a while and read all the documentation, it's not at all
difficult to become a Debian developer and there are a lot of people
available to help.

It's *time consuming*, for both the applicant and the AM (and the DAM).
That's what people complain about.  It can take most of a year, or even
more.  But that's not time spent constantly working; most of that time is
spent waiting in various queues for someone to have free time.