Re: Packages-arch-specific (was: Sparc build failure analysis)

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 08:52 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> So I followed the instructions at the top of that file and requested a
> P-a-s entry, after asking people here what to do.  No response.  Hm.  I
> wasn't sure what to make of that -- maybe this request is too trivial to
> bother with, it's fine for the builds to fail, and I should just ignore
> it?  Or maybe my e-mail wasn't received?  Or maybe I misunderstood
> something and this was the wrong channel or the wrong thing to do?
[...]
> other arches aren't).  Is this because of my mail?  Because the buildd
> administrator noticed the error message?

In my opinion what's needed here is a pseudo package in the BTS against
which bugs can be filed for changes to P-a-s, and the maintainer for
that package would be the collection of current P-a-s maintainers.

Advantages:
- ensure for developers that their mail is not lost;
- ensure for P-a-s maintainers that they don't forget about less
important items if they don't have time for it right away;
- allow the P-a-s maintainers to use (user)tags and severities to
classify the requests (wontfix and moreinfo spring to mind);
- allow for porters to add their (dis)approval of a request to the bug;
- allow for everyone, developers, porters and other interested parties
alike, to see what the status is of a particular request.

These reasons are very comparable with why we encourage bugs to be filed
against packages in the BTS instead of sending them to the maintainer
email address.

bye,
Thijs