Sparc build failure analysis (was Re: StrongARM tactics)

In article <[🔎] 20051207080852.GA22413@tennyson.dodds.net> vorlon@debian.org writes:
>On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:21:46PM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
>> I can do the analyzing, but what should I do with the results?
>> sparc@buildd.debian.org seems to be a black hole.  You'll need to find
>> someone willing to communicate with access to the buildd queues before
>> the porters can do anything.
>
>I said that deciding which packages should belong in P-a-s is porter work;
>as is filing bugs on failed packages that shouldn't, providing patches, and
>doing porter NMUs if necessary.

Again: what can I do with such a list?  See the list below.

>If the porters do this effectively, there's really not much need at all for
>telling the buildd maintainers about transient build failures, because
>they'll be pretty obvious (and account for the majority of failures, as it
>should be).

Just because it is obvious does not mean that the buildd adminstrator
does the correct thing.  kq was "uploaded" 51 days ago, trustedqsl was
"uploaded" 25 days ago, neither is in the archive.

openoffice.org has been "building" for 8 days, it only took 57 hours
on my slower than any current sparc buildd pbuilder.  kexi has been
"building" for 6 days, it took less than 2 hours.

The sparc buildd mainainter has in the past left transient build
failures lie for over 6 months.  For the past year he's been requeuing
all maybe-failed packages every 1-3 months.

I've gone through the list of "maybe-failed" packages on sparc again.
The first sections is the packages that shouldn't be attempted on
sparc.  Two packages need requeued now that bugs in other packages are
fixed.  Several packages need to be put in dep-wait, and of course
there is a large list that should be moved to failed.  If nothing
useful is done with this list, don't expect me to repeat the work
again.

NOT-FOR-US

numactl
	only supports i386 amd64 ia64
	appears to assume intel-style stuff, would need major redesign
	for other architectures
vm
	only supports all, not any
	see bug 342185
wmkbd
gsnes9x
pistachio
	needs arch-specific code
acpidump
kexec-tools
	bug 338846
redboot
	bug 152911
rsbac-admin
hdaps-utils
lcd4linux
	bug 336017
vnstat
hotkey-setup
gwp
snes9express
	contrib, needs snes9x-x
libaio
adeos
defrag
ree
odyssey
nvidia-cg-toolkit
atokx2
xmms-openspc
lcrash
grub2
php4-maxdb
libpam-encfs
915resolution
pcsx
acpica-unix

REQUEUE
mcvs		1.0.13-12	341850
qterm		0.4.0pre3-2+b1	342381

DEP-WAIT
galago-sharp		libmono-dev
dmraid			libklibc-dev
motv			ibzvbi0 (= 0.2.17-3.0.1)
qmailadmin		vpopmail-bin
wvstreams		libxplc0.3.13-dev
sylpheed-claws-gtk2	libclamv-dev
digikam			libartsl-dev (>=1.4.2)
tulip			mesa-common-dev (= 6.2.1-7)
liferea			libdbus-glib-1-dev
kwave			kdemultimedia-dev
ivtools			libace-dev
fwbuilder		libfwbuilder-dev
gtksharp2		libmono-dev
libavg			libavcodeccvs-dev
gnucash			slib
memepack		r-base-dev
r-cran-bayesm		r-base-dev

FAILED
bazaar			1.4.2-2			334320
palo			1.9			320284
raidutils		0.0.4-7			326922
icon			9.4.2-2.3		322972
erlang			1:10.b.7-1		326031
ispell-fi		0.7-16			326025
gmpc			0.12.0-1		333711
cursel			0.2.2-3.1		267900
supercollider		20050624-1		290339
qprof			0.5.1-6			323094
silc-toolkit		0.9.12-4.1		326924
libgstreamer-perl	0.04-1			328051
jmagick			6.0.4-0-1		329104
mesa-lagacy		6.2.1-8			327637
xsim			0.3.9.4-6		221453
haskell-http		0.4.20050430-1		315333
rhyme			0.9-5			269371
ultrapossum-slapd	0.0.4+2.2.20sb3-1	304092
wmtune			1.1-1			269718
siptoolbox		0.3.99rc2alpha3-2	332526
slate			0.3.4.3-2		323126
postgis			1.0.0-1			323120
php4-vpopmail		4.3.4-5.4.4+2		309556
babel			0.10.2-2.1		309272
stalin			0.9+0.10alpha2-2	337169
klibc			1.1.1-4			330191
libopenspc		0.3.99a-2		322979
iproute			20041019-4		336675
swish-e			2.4.3-2			339343
rcalc			0.5.0-1			339103
insight			6.3.50+cvs.2005.11.16-1	339723
gpsd			2.30-1			340852
glibc			2.3.5-8.1		342755
ocp			0.1.9-2			341274
helix-player		1.0.6-3			339469