Re: Sparc build failure analysis (was Re: StrongARM tactics)

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 06:53:47AM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20051207080852.GA22413@tennyson.dodds.net> vorlon@debian.org writes:
> >On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:21:46PM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:
> >> I can do the analyzing, but what should I do with the results?
> >> sparc@buildd.debian.org seems to be a black hole.  You'll need to find
> >> someone willing to communicate with access to the buildd queues before
> >> the porters can do anything.
> >
> >I said that deciding which packages should belong in P-a-s is porter work;
> >as is filing bugs on failed packages that shouldn't, providing patches, and
> >doing porter NMUs if necessary.
>
> Again: what can I do with such a list?  See the list below.
>
> >If the porters do this effectively, there's really not much need at all for
> >telling the buildd maintainers about transient build failures, because
> >they'll be pretty obvious (and account for the majority of failures, as it
> >should be).
>
> Just because it is obvious does not mean that the buildd adminstrator
> does the correct thing.  kq was "uploaded" 51 days ago, trustedqsl was
> "uploaded" 25 days ago, neither is in the archive.
>
> openoffice.org has been "building" for 8 days, it only took 57 hours
> on my slower than any current sparc buildd pbuilder.  kexi has been
> "building" for 6 days, it took less than 2 hours.
Hi Blars et al.,
has anyone every considered a check in the buildd infrastructure to
alert someone (buildd admin and/or others) if a build is taking too long
(eg openoffice usually takes between 2-3 hours to build and the current
build has been building for 10 hours+). Something like a database entry
or a database of either previous build times or last build time. As a
way to not have a buildd tied up with an obvious build issue and thus
allow the issue to be address sooner thus alowing more buildd
throughput. I'd help but I have neither the skill nor the access to
buildd infrastrure (as I'm not a DD or a buildd admin) but try to give
ideas that I feel are helpful.
Anyway, hope those buildd (and thier admins) are humming along smoothly!
Cheers,
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!