Re: Announcement: Common Power-Management Framework

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005, Kevin Locke wrote:
> What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts about the value of a daemon to
> invoke scripts based on the power-related HAL events?  Is this
> unnecessary given the function of the GNOME Power Manager and
> equivalents, or would it have enough value to be worth implementing?

Things should just work.  That means the system takes care of them all on
background, and GNOME/KDE just plug to those services to interface with the
user.

It is just not acceptable to have any system/infrastructure service where a
GUI (be it GNOME, KDE, Xaw, whatever) is more than a presentation layer that
can be removed and exchanged at will.   This is such a basic design rule it
is not funny.

Since we're talking Linux, I'd add the golden sysadmin-approved design rule
that every system/infrastructure service should have a text-mode,
serial/ssh/screen-terminal-safe presentation layer in addition to any other
presentation layers.

> Would it be better to spend our time adding features to the Gnome Power
> Manager and equivalents instead of creating a separate program?  I'm

To me things are simple:
  1. power management is system infrastructure.  I can explain WHY it
     is so, but I don't think many people would argue that power
     management is an user-level service.

  2. thus, it has to work without a console, without X, without users
     logged in, in embedded environments, etc.

  3. therefore KDE and GNOME, as GUIs, must be kept as the presentation
     layer only.  And they must be 100% optional for the system to
     be configured and operated.

> taken.  We will probably need to address the issues of no users logged
> in and users with differing actions (where one would want to suspend and
> the other to ignore the event).  But that should be doable.

May I suggest a priority chain?  something like this:

 (highest): - System-wide override
            - logged users
 (lowest)   - System-wide default.

Make it configurable on how to resolve conflicts on the logged users
level:  Either maximum level of powersaving, or minimum level.

Make the system-wide override capable of declaring which power states
are allowed.

  Henrique Holschuh