Re: RFA: dbi,rmysql,qtl -- GNU R package providing a generic database interface

Steffen,

On 1 December 2005 at 08:57, Steffen Moeller wrote:
| Dear Dirk,
|
| one should indeed discuss if the packages should remain in the distribution,
| but please not because I am a bit behind in maintenance. I promise updates

I disagree about the 'not'.  It is _precisely_ because of the 'behind in
maintenance'.

Packages that are not maintained need to either get adopted, or orphaned and
eventually get removed. Debian's quest for quality is incompatible with
letting packages rot.

If you cannot attend to your packages, the Debian developer documentation
details mechanism for getting help.

| for this weekend.
|
| The packages built for CRAN and BioConductor derived automagically via the
| script you wrote (http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-bioc/) are usable.

I strongly disagree. There is a difference between doing a still hackish
one-off, tossing a few binary packages on a page --- and proper maintenance,
covered several architecture, all automated as package maintenance will do.

| The packages update very quickly as you know and hence I'd indeed prefer to
| establish a single site with all the CRAN and BioC packages over the partial
| distribution of such within Debian. Though you might have additional thoughts
| about this.

The CRAN/BioC automation project on Alioth is a long-term, but let's keep the
eyes on the ball and clean these packages up.

Which, according to private mail, you did so let me have a go at sponsoring
the updated versions.

Regards, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'