Re: Fedora Directory Server port to Debian ?

Op zo, 07-08-2005 te 09:43 -0700, schreef Russ Allbery:
> Paul Wise <pabs3@bonedaddy.net> writes:
>
> >> Is somebody working on porting/packaging FDS to Debian?
>
> > http://bugs.debian.org/315297
>
> Bad package description.  It tells me something I don't care about (namely
> the acronym expansion of LDAP) and none of the things I do care about (why
> would I want this package rather than some other directory server).
>
> > As far as I can tell, there is no-one packaging it yet, feel free to
> > contribute, I imagine that it would be good to have this in debian.
>
> Out of curiousity, why?  I can't think of any reason to run FDS when we
> already have OpenLDAP, having had the experience of dealing with FDS's
> technological predecessor.

Having had experience dealing with OpenLDAP, I'd be happy to have
just /anything/ else.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with having multiple
implementations of the same thing -- on the contrary. We have multiple
implementations of DNS-servers, MTA's, MUA's, database servers,
browsers, user environments, and whatnot. Why not multiple LDAP servers?

pavement is precisely one bananosecond