Re: Usability: Technical details in package descriptions?

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:08:22 -0500, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> said:

> Peter Samuelson writes:
>> There is no need for dumbing down descriptions for things
>> non-technical users aren't going to be selecting anyway.

> One can be a highly technical user of a package without knowing (or
> caring) squat about the language it is implemented in.  Descriptions
> should focus on the domain of application.

        Why should we only cater to a subset of selection criteria
 that we deem "proper"? What is wrong with  having clear description
 of the domain of the application _and_  technical factes as well, so
 that we cater to all possible users, not just those who are deemed
 "kosher" by the powers that be?

        manoj
 ps: presenting technical facets may well be done by presenting
 debtags information, but, lacking that, the description has been
 traditionally used to do so
--
Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national
debt. Herbert Hoover