Re: What is going on with udev?

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:18:01 -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 14:02 -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
>> Closing, it isn't a bash against the kernel team. It isn't my point,
>> my problem is with this "didn't you know, read X stupid!" approach.
>
> I don't think pointing at the mailing list was an unreasonable reaction
> to the "genius" comment, which implied that the namechange was entirely
> arbitrary.  And I didn't hear anyone call anyone else "stupid".  I think
> you're being a bit oversensitive.
>
> But I was mystified, myself, until I searched for the renamed package.
> I agree a d-d-a post would've helped clear up the confusion, and wonder
> why this wasn't announced.
>
> Ben

An explanation to d-d-a will be coming in due time; however, right now the
package is in flux, so announcing it is premature.  udev issues aside
(which should *not* depend on >= 2.6.12), nothing else depends on the
new kernel packages, so the only people using it are those that actually
are aware of what's going on.  I'd like to keep it that way until the
package is stabilized, at which point the various dummy packages
(kernel-image-2.6-686, etc) will start depending upon
things like linux-image-2.6-686.

I'd also point out that 2.6.12-1 was built w/ a broken version of
kernel-package (see #319657).  This is fixed in our SVN repo (w/ a
versioned build-dep), but not yet in sid.