Re: should etch be Debian 4.0 ?

On 10/07/05, Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:57:54 -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > I suggested "Debian IV"
>
> Are release numbers really needed?  Why not do away with them altogether?
>
> --
> Thomas Hood

you mean, just stick with code names?

That wouldn't exactly work, Debian's apt/dpkg basicly relies on
release numbers, how else can it easily and quickly realize that
apache2-2.0.40 is older than apache2-2.0.50? if you tried to do
release names, you'd have some seriously bored maintainers jumping the
boat to Y-Distribution because they don't have to think!  Also we'd
have package lists about 15MB (compressed) in size, because it'd have
to name every release name, for every program, because thats how it's
going to work them out...

Stick with numbers, it gives us something to argue about after each release.