Re: debian sarge is 3.2 or 4 ?

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:17:45AM +0200, Andrea Mennucc wrote:
> Considering that woody was released 19 Jul 2002, it took us
> ~3 years to release; in the meantime, all most important
> components changed completely; and we did a lot of work
> in Sarge, that I do not want to see numerically
> represented as
>     sarge = woody + 0.1
>
> So I would much prefer if sarge would be called "Debian 4"
>
> Do you agree?

I would prefer to be maintainer of the well known distribution which
*doesn't* bump versions only for the fun of it.

I know that for most people numbers have some magic meaning, but please can
we try to provide stable OS by its quality and not version number?

Calling sarge 4.0 won't make it better.

regards
fEnIo
--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland