Re: A way _not_ to handle bugs

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:54:46PM -0500, Adam M. wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> >grave <-> serious isn't worth a discussion since there's not a big
> >difference between them (both are RC)
>
> You are 100% wrong here. Why do we have bug severities then? Severities
> are there to inform the developer and the rest of the Debian world about
> the seriousness of the bug. I tend to stay away from packages that have
> grave or critical bugs against them before I read the bug report. So,
> let me refresh your mind about bug severities,

Let me try to reformulate my point:

important <-> serious or important <-> grave are worth a discussion,
because if the bug is only important it's not unlikely sarge will ship
with this bug.

We could have a lengthy discussion whether there are possible scenarios
where a specific dependency problem might cause data loss (which would
make it grave) or whether it's "only" a policy violation. (If you are
using php4-mysql on a web server to write the orders of your costumers
into a database, couldn't this bug cause data loss?)

But the practical differences between critical, grave and serious are
small enough that if I send a bug as grave and you'd downgrade it to
serious, I wouldn't care.

> - Adam

cu
Adrian