Re: A way _not_ to handle bugs

Adrian Bunk wrote:

>grave <-> serious isn't worth a discussion since there's not a big
>difference between them (both are RC)

You are 100% wrong here. Why do we have bug severities then? Severities
are there to inform the developer and the rest of the Debian world about
the seriousness of the bug. I tend to stay away from packages that have
grave or critical bugs against them before I read the bug report. So,
let me refresh your mind about bug severities,

|critical - |makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole
system) break, or causes serious data loss, or introduces a security
hole on systems where you install the package.

|grave - |makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the accounts
of users who use the package.

|serious - |is a severe violation of Debian policy
<http://release.debian.org/sarge_rc_policy.txt> (roughly, it violates a
"must" or "required" directive), or, in the package maintainer's
opinion, makes the package unsuitable for release.

|important - |a bug which has a major effect on the usability of a
package, without rendering it completely unusable to everyone.

|normal - |the default value, applicable to most bugs.

|minor - |a problem which doesn't affect the package's usefulness, and
is presumably trivial to fix.

|wishlist - |for any feature request, and also for any bugs that are
very difficult to fix due to major design considerations.

source: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

Thus, a bug that makes the package break like this falls under the
important category (since an easy work around is available). *But*, the
bug is also a violation of the Debian policy (ie. depends), so it
becomes serious.

Grave bugs are only there if the package doesn't work at all when you
upgraded ALL depends to latest versions.

- Adam