Re: Should Debian use lsb init-functions?

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 07:56:14AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005 01:34:17 +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:05:19AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> >> I think it would be better if we simply made rc capture initscripts'
> >> standard output (and exit status) and formatted it in such a way that
> >> bootup messages were prettier.
> >
> >That sounds like an ugly and error-prone hack to me. Not something we
> >want one of our most important systems to be working with.
>
> The fact that there is much more than one init script which writes
> additional output in between the policy conformant "Starting foo...
> Done.", giving "Starting foo... blurb
> blurb
> Done." is one of the most annoying facts in Debian, IMO.

I won't deny that; but a) using LSB init scripts won't magically fix
that, and b) that's one more reason to not rely on parsing of output to
implement this.

> Additionally, it is bad that on systems which neither have a serial
> console nor a monitor attached init script output is inaccessible.

False. See /etc/default/bootlogd (although it is not without problems)

pavement is precisely one bananosecond