Re: Urgently need GPL compatible libsnmp5-dev replacement :-(

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:08:01AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 07:06:36PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > The license of the GNUTLS OpenSSL shim is GPL, causing possible license
> > problems in the other direction with GPL-incompatible apps.  It's also not a
> > very complete compatibility layer.

> Could the kadmin program be considered a derived work of the readline
> library?  No, because it was written to call libss *years* ago, long
> before libss was modified to potentially call the readline library.

I'm not sure this is the right list for this, but... (If you decide that
I need learnin', and take this to another list, please CC me. ^_^)

Surely the above statement (out of context) is actually an expected side-effect
of Copyleft? Specifically, if you drag something GPL into your library, you
_are_ requiring that all users (even the historical ones) be GPL-compatible, or
not use that version of the library.

Obviously kadmin is not a directly derived work of readline, but it is a
derived work of libss, which is _now_ a derived work of readline. (Or would
be, barring the dlopen solution. ^_^) This of course assumes the phrase
"derived work" is legalese for "code dependancy" or something. I'm sure
the GPL actually defines what _they_ mean by it...

On the other hand, I agree the dlopen-interface argument below trumps this, but
I would have to go re-read the GPL before I relied upon that myself.

> The kadmin program called the libss *interface*, and at the time the
> author of the kadmin program had no idea that it might subsequently
> end up calling a GPL'ed library indirectly via libss.  And
> furthermore, the BSD-licensed libss program does not even directly
> link against the readline library, but rather uses dlopen() and
> dlsym() to call a particular *interface* which could be satisified
> either by a GPL or BSD licensed library.  So how can you say that the
> libss program is a derivitive work of either library?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.