Re: Should Debian use lsb init-functions?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> Here's how I thought about doing it when I was mucking around with
> invoke-rc.d and the initscripts paper:

> 1. No shell functions at all.  Trap stdout and stderr, and parse that.
> 2. Group all output from a single initscript if possible
> 3. Get a proper standard for the stdout/stderr usage and enforce it.

One concern I'd have is that using the LSB functions is (at least
somewhat) lintian-testable, whereas the standard for stdout/stderr usage
would be much more difficult to test in a lintian/linda sort of way.

Making widespread changes happen that are lintian-verifiable seems a lot
easier to do than making changes that aren't.