Re: Should Debian use lsb init-functions?

On Wed, 04 May 2005, Thomas Hood wrote:
> I have been looking at the lsb init functions and am beginning to feel
> that they are a bad idea.

Here's how I thought about doing it when I was mucking around with
invoke-rc.d and the initscripts paper:

1. No shell functions at all.  Trap stdout and stderr, and parse that.
2. Group all output from a single initscript if possible
3. Get a proper standard for the stdout/stderr usage and enforce it.

That is very Debian-centric, but we could actually make it work with LSB
quite easily, since any LSB script will already run those functions anyway,
and we can have them do whatever is needed.

> * Converting to lsb init function requires modifying every initscript in
> Debian.

We will have to do this sooner or later, but lets make damn sure we know how
we want to do it first...

> * Every initscript has to read in a file containing a set of function
> definitions, some/most of which the initscript does not use.

The stdout/stderr parsing method kills this problem.

> * The lsb functions don't handle all the kinds of output currently
> produced by initscripts.

And this one :)

> * Success/failure status has to be signalled using a special function,
> whereas this information is (or should be) already available as the exit
> status of the initscript.

And this one :)

> I think it would be better if we simply made rc capture initscripts'
> standard output (and exit status) and formatted it in such a way that
> bootup messages were prettier.

Exactly!  Anyone up for a lets-design-the-next-debian-initscript BOF on
debconf5?

Here's how I envision it might be done:

[init] - [demultiplexer/parellism control] (pipe A) (pipe B)
   |---­ [rc] (connects to pipe A) -- (initscript 1)
   |                               -- (initscript n)
   ----- [logging/GUI] (connects to pipe B)

A quick read on the (now somewhat outdated) initscript paper at
http://people.debian.org/~hmh/, sections 5.3 and 5.4 will explain what I
would use the demultiplexer/parallelism control daemon for.

All output from the initscripts get to the demultiplexer, tagged as
stdout/stderr and the initscript instace responsible for it.

*AND* this does not change init, at all.

  Henrique Holschuh