Re: Sarge release for amd64 - Please help to fix the remaining bugs

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:10:10PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:52:02PM -0500, Adam M. wrote:
>
> > >Ideally, we would have agreement to update all of the following packages to
> > >libmysqlclient12 at the same time:
>
> > I would suggest that libmysqlclient14 should be used if possible. MySQL
> > has changed the way passwords are stored in the database and this
> > prevents clients from connecting to MySQL databases unless old-passwords
> > option is enabled (which it is in Debian). libmysqlclient12 clients
> > cannot connect to MySQL 4.1.x and newer databases unless old password is
> > explicitly used or enabled.
>
> That's not true.  It's only libmysqlclient10 that can't connect using the
> new protocol.

Please check the facts before spreading such misinformation.

The password hashing change in MySQL occured between 4.0 and 4.1, and
clients using libmysqlclient12 therefore can't connect to MySQL 4.1
servers using the new password hashing.

The problem can be easily reproduced in unstable by e.g. trying to
connect from phpMyAdmin to a MySQL 4.1 database using a user who's
password was set without the old_passwords option being active.

> Steve Langasek

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.