Re: lintian & linda

Hi Steve,

* [ 11-04-05 - 12:39 ] Steve Kowalik <stevenk@debian.org> wrote:
>  On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:45:04 +0200, Emanuele Rocca uttered
>  > Everybody agrees here, but (AFAIK) this is not the situation we are
>  > discussing. No 'Better Ideas' in linda.
>  Speak for yourself.

I obiouvsly speak for myself and I said "AFAIK" because I didn't know
what features differences lintian and linda and (until your reply)
nobody explained me them.

>  Here are three (off the top of my head) that
>  spring to mind that lintian can't do, and I feel better serve
>  users.

Wonderful, this is what I was trying to understand.

>  1) Proper English descriptions, rather than tags.
>  steven@broken:~% linda /var/cache/apt/archives/abiword_2.2.7-1_i386.deb
>  E: abiword; No manual page for binary AbiWord-2.2.
>
>  2) Proper l10n strings for most errors (in German, anyway)
>  steven@broken:~% LANG=de_DE linda /var/cache/apt/archives/abiword_2.2.7-1_i386.deb
>  E: abiword; Keine Handbuchseite für Binary AbiWord-2.2.
>
>  3) Different output formats.
>  steven@broken:~% linda -f long /var/cache/apt/archives/abiword_2.2.7-1_i386.deb
>  Package: abiword
>  Type: Error

It would be very nice to add these to linda's description.
This way, every user can decide to install linda rather than lintian if
they need these specific features.

>  One very pissed off developer,

It was not my intention to be rude, I am sorry.

ciao,
	ema