Re: lintian & linda

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 07:36 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
[snip]
> > Which is if course a big point if you consider
> > programmers can only help in one but not the other.
> Hmmm - I wonder whether rewriting an application wouldn't take more time than
> doing the usual things in free software:
>
>      1) Write bug reports.
>      2) Provide patches - well a programmer who is skilled enouth to rewrite
>         a complete application is definitely skilled enouth to learn a quite
>         common programming language in a shorter time than the rewrite would
>         take - at least good enouth to provide patches.

Then why was aptitude written?  Why not send patches against apt-get
and dselect?

ISTM that the good reason for writing-from-scratch duplicate
functionality is if you have a Better Idea (better data structures,
better interfaces, extra functionality, etc, etc) that are so
fundamental that You Can't Get There From Here by patching existing
code.

[snip]
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"More things in politics happen by accident or exhaustion than
happen by conspiracy."
Jeff Greenfield, CNN political analyst