Re: Why do we still have this on the distribution?

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:18:23AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Wed, April 6, 2005 01:09, sean finney said:
> > - sarge is around the corner, and keeping it in means maintaining
> >   it for possibly another 2-4 years!  if it's *already*
> >   no longer maintained upstream...
>
> This raises a valid point; maybe the maintainer can comment on this? Since
> we already receive no security updates to php3 from upstream, is it
> feasible security-wise to keep it in the distribution for some years to
> come?

I think the opinion of the stable release manager and security team should
rank higher than the maintainer also.

(i.e. if they don't want the overhead of having to support the unsupported
for the next $LENGTH_OF_ETCH_RELEASE_PERIOD then they should be able to veto
it being in the release of Sarge.

regards

Andrew