Re: Why do we still have this on the distribution?

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:56:25PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> The fact that Adam Conrad just made an upload yesterday to fix bugs in
> the package seems to indicate that he at least feels that it is
> useful. [Or at least, I *hope* that's why an upload was made instead
> of requesting removal.]

obviously adam's going to be the best judge of what's going on wrt php3,
but afaict there's no need of php3 that can't be satisfied by
php4 (which is completely backwards compatible with v3 in every case
i know of), so i don't see why we can't just remove it and have v4 fill
in the void.

my worries for this are twofold:

- sarge is around the corner, and keeping it in means maintaining
  it for possibly another 2-4 years!  if it's *already* no longer
  maintained upstream...
- php5 is also around the corner, and having versions 3, 4, and 5 all
  in the archive at the same time will lead to not only archive/mirror
  bloat (which is considerable by itself), but also probably a very
  complicated set of interdepenencies and very frustrating bugs
  resulting from said dependencies.

	sean