Re: Why do we still have this on the distribution?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> I don't use PHP at all, but I know this much: PHP3 is code left to
> rot.  Are people really maintaining code this old?  Old per se is
> not the problem, but old, unmaintained, complex and shown to have
> security problems is.

If php3 has specific security problems, then file bugs against
it. Currently Adam Conrad <adconrad@0c3.net> is maintaining php3, and
as I sit here, there are no bugs with severity > Normal open against
it.

Until Adam Conrad decides that it shouldn't be in the archive, or the
bugginess of the package precludes it from being included in a release
(IE, unresolved RC bugs) the package will continue being released on
the assumption that the maintainer actually knows better than any one
else if people are really using the package.

Don Armstrong

--
Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).