Re: New stable version after Sarge

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 12:46:00PM -0500, William Ballard wrote:
 > On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:22:47PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
 > >  We don't have to go from X.0 to (X+1).0 in 6 months.  It's
 > >  perfectly ok to go from X.0 to X.1.
 >
 > .1 Releases aren't for adding functionality which was created after
 > the .0 release.  It's for finishing the stuff you postponed doing so
 > you could ship.

 Well, traditionally we've never decided before hand that the next
 release is going to be 4.0 or 3.2 or the like.  We work on whatever
 comes our way, and when it's ready someone decides if it's 4.0 or just
 3.2.

 Some people are of course feel strongly about calling the next thing
 3.2 and others would rather see 4.0 -- because <big piece of junk> got
 in -- even if Debian as a system isn't seeing any big leap.  Since we
 try not to develop software ourselves it is sometimes hard to assess
 what makes a major release and what a minor one.

 Marcelo