Re: New stable version after Sarge

El vie, 07-01-2005 a las 20:34 +1000, Anthony Towns escribió:
> Someone should patch Thunderbird so it handles M-F-T:. Grump.
>
> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >>Packages qualify to be enter prestable after residing in testing for
> >>ten days and having NO RC BUGS. The idea is to keep prestable in a
> >>highly stable state at all times, a rolling stable if you will.
> > That's how testing started off. We stopped doing this because
>
> Err, no, we didn't stop doing anything of the sort.
>
> > a) it at one point stalled glibc; as a result, nothing moved to testing
> >    anymore, and when it finally did, the changes were so dramatic that
> >    testing was broken for quite some time.
>
> Everytime glibc gets RC bugs, glibc gets stalled. It was stalled pretty
> continuously for something like 8-10 months (iirc) in late 2002,
> early-mid 2003. That is to say that at that point we couldn't produce a
> releasable gibc in less than eight months. At the point that got fixed,
> something was broken about at least KDE, and a whole range of other
> interdependencies had come up. Outside of KDE, I don't recall any overly
> major issues though.
>
> Fixing bugs early and often while still doing development is a tricky
> task. In particular it involves both an attitude change from the way
> many people tend to work (viz, "I'll fix all my RC bugs now, not wait
> for someone to tell me to, or after I've implemented these few
> features") and a different set of skills and techniques to actually
> achieve (such as better pre-release testing so you don't release some
> features that turn out to be horribly buggy and unfixable, but also so
> useful that you don't want to rip them out from under people either).

 I think that this mind change could be accomplished better if we have a
roadmap for important features and also a time for the freeze. But both
have to be realistic, so people have the feeling that if they change a
lot of things without testing those well before uploading to unstable,
they can miss next release.

> The glibc team took a while to get a handle on those issues when they
> took over the package; hopefully that's not an issue that'll come up
> again. The KDE and Gnome folks are getting the hang of it now too, which
> is why you can see major new versions of KDE and Gnome being accepted
> now, and not causing significant disruptions to the release schedule
> (such as it is).

  Yes, and IMO this is working pretty well. Mostly because there are
coordination in those components like GNOME or KDE that involves a lot
of components that should be uploaded in a short time to avoid problems,
and in other teams like glibc or kernel one, bacause there is always
some people wich can take the work when someone has other more important
stuff eating their time (work, studies, ...)

  Perhaps we should try to push some other teams in other key areas of
Debian (I can not think of any right now, but I am sure that they are),
and also in the infraestructure part. Of course, installer team is also
a key.

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org