Re: New stable version after Sarge

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:17 +0100, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Martin Schulze schreef:
> > Paul van der Vlis wrote:
[...]
> > At least that's been the case including sarge.  Hence, such
> > a sentence would not mean anything.
> >
> >>I can understand something like "Debian releases when it's ready", but
> >>many people have to work together. Maybe it's better to say: "a package
> >>releases when it's ready, but the deadline for the next Debian release
> >>is a fixed date".
> >
> > What if the installer is broken at that time?
>
> Normally a broken installer does not come into testing (ehm, I don't
> know for sure the installer is a normal package).
>
> For me, installing was never a big problem. You can use an old installer
> and update. And a special installation (e.g. on soft-raid) you can
> install first somewhere else and then copy it.

No, this not good enough. How many MORE e-mails do you want on both
Debian User and Debian Devel? It would hugely magnify the amount.

> > What if the buildd network is busted at that time?
> > What if n library transitions are in progress at that time?
> > What if our archive suite lacks an important improvement which
> >    is a requirement for being able to maintain the new stable
> >    release?
>
> When there is a fixed deadline you can plan such things better to be
> ready for the new release.

What part of "Volunteers" don't you understand? We can't force ANYONE to
do anything at anytime.

> > Sure, you could still release, but would you really like to have
> > such a release?
>
> I agree, quality is more important then the release date.

So, then if quality is what Debian is all about, why bother proposing a
fixed date. We are progressing through stages already, just that to fix
everything... well there's that "Volunteers" word again.

> >>You will understand that my most important point is security-support.
> >
> > Oh I forgot:
> >
> > What if security support for a new release cannot be guaranteed at
> >    that time?
> Same answer.

This is only an incremental problem of the whole release staging design,
control and planning . Quality and Security are by far Debian MOST
important end-user needed features. We provide this by complying with
the Debian Social Contract and the Debian Free Software Guide, both of
which are the definition of Debian. You should read them.

Debian: the Install once and update from there distro.

So really why does it matter?

If you want a distro that is based on timely releases, there are quite a
few out there. The only one I would use is Ubuntu. Being Debian based,
there are quite a few things to be said about its quality, "perfect" is
not one, "way ahead of most others" IS one. But, still they demand a 6
month release schedule.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is