Re: New stable version after Sarge

Paul van der Vlis wrote:

Hello,

One of the biggest disadvantages of Debian for me is the long time it takes for a new stable version.

What about saying something like: the next stable release comes in the beginning of 2006?

I can understand something like "Debian releases when it's ready", but many people have to work together. Maybe it's better to say: "a package releases when it's ready, but the deadline for the next Debian release is a fixed date".

You will understand that my most important point is security-support.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Well, you could argue that debian branches are not perfectly named but:
"stable" is best if you need *absolute* failsafety for critical jobs
"testing" is best if you want a stable system with new(ish) software
"unstable" is for everybody who needs the newest software, like me.

honestly, I have never had problems (yet) with using sid for day-to-day stuff. If I needed something more production-ready, I'd use testing because you have (almost) garantee that the software will work and you will have security updates, too. (But not in the same quality as "stable", as I understand it. If I needed to run a always-needed very-important server on the internet, I would use "stable".

Regards,
Thomas Jollans