Re: GtkMozEmbed with Firefox not Mozilla

* William Ballard (nospam_40811@alltel.net) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:08:03PM -0500, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > * William Ballard (nospam_40811@alltel.net) wrote:
> > >
> > > mozilla-browser is 30 megabytes and duplicates the vast majority of
> > > firefox
> >
> > So every program that uses MozEmbed needs two versions, one compiled
> > against mozilla and one compiled against firefox?
>
> No.  That's why you have virtual packages.  Just like every program
> that depends on a java2-runtime doesn't have multiple versions.
>
> I think that a very large part of mozilla is probably just the
> "libraries" and you'd still have a great deal of duplication.
> The mozilla or firefox binary is probably only a very thin wrapper
> around the libraries; that's what iexplore.exe is.

Unfortunately they're not just libraries. They're mostly just dynamic
code blobs. They don't have sonames or published APIs. Firefox now
tends to fork from the mainline mozilla tree, so the code can be quite
different, or at least different enough to make having firefox load
the mozilla components quite impossible.

So yes there is duplication. Yes, it is unfortunate. Go tell mozilla
fellas to make their stuff more modular.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com