Re: dependancy issues

On 01-Jan-05, 21:14 (CST), Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 05:07:42PM -0800, Carl B. Constantine wrote:
> > I'm trying to trim my system a little bit. I wanted to purge Evolution
> > from my system since I use Mutt for email. But doing that wants to
> > remove Gnome.
>
> So it wants to remove the Gnome meta-package.  So what?

So doing so causes all the packages that the gnome meta-package depended
on to be de-installed, if one is using package tool that tracks packages
that were installed to fulfill a dependency; aptitude, for example. This
can be disconcerting.

It means you need to go in and (re-)select all the smaller
meta-packages, etc. that you actually want to keep.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net