Re: handling bugs of udev

Hallo Brian,

* Brian May <bam@debian.org> [2004-12-27 00:56]:

>     Nico> this bug:
>     Nico> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=286257
>
> I am not sure what the problem is here, according to the bug report,
> the solution was:
>
> cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
> ln -s ../cd-aliases.rules .

yes that solves my problem too.

> However, on my system, this symlink was already created for me
> (IIRC). Looking at the postinst script, this symlink is always
> created(?).

i think this should be created be default, but thats the
decision of the maintainer.

> My only problem I had is that I came from devfs, and it come as a
> surprise that ide-cd wasn't automatically loaded. Sure, it was easy
> for me to fix, and it is pointed out in the documentation too, but if
> I was a Linux novice, I might get totally confused.

yes right.

> Also, certain paragraphs from README.Debian, of udev 0.048-2 rather
> confused me:
>
> "If you prefer devfs-style names you can switch by removing this link
> and creating new links to udev-devfs.rules (devfs-style devices) and
> optionally udev-compat.rules (some compatibility symlinks) and
> rebooting.  As long as the directory is not empty, the package will
> not modify the symlinks contained."
>
> On my system, the closest file I could find was devfs.rules (not
> udev-devfs.rules), but there was already a symlink created for me.
>
> Maybe the documentation needs updating...

i think yes, but marco will see it different.
regards nico
--
Nico Golde - 310777820@ICQ | GPG: 1024D/73647CFF ,'"`.
nico@ngolde.de | http://www.ngolde.de           (  grml.org