Re: Size matters. Debian binary package stats

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 02:17 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> >> I was talking about the hypothetical situation of dpkg defaulting to
> >> !gzip compression and adding a Pre-Depends to the dpkg version
> >> required for unpacking. The buildd would have to override that for
> >> core packages.
> >
> > No, the packages themselves would include such logic in their debian/rules.
> > There's no way we'd want to keep buildds in sync with what the set of core
> > packages is.
>
> That would realy defeat the purpose of not having to modify every deb.

Why not "just" modify them the next time they are scheduled to be
built from source?

It occurs to me, though: while adding a {g|b}zip stage to the i386,
amd64, ppc, ia64, etc build  wouldn't be noticed that much by 2GHz
CPUs, it *would* be noticed by 40MHz 68Ks.  Is there a way to make
the compression conditional on the CPU?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"But Gates is a visionary. Very early in the history of the PC,
he evolved a strikingly clear concept of where the industry was
headed, and he has pursued that vision_despite many tactical
setbacks_unwaveringly, relentlessly, and ruthlessly."
www.stanford.edu/group/mmdd/SiliconValley/Ferguson/Chapter.5.html