Priority=important: elvis-tiny & nano-tiny / Priority=optional: nvi, vim-tiny, nano, elvis, vim

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 02:13:25PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 24 December 2005 14:15, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Sarge installer installs nano and nvi.  I thought it was sort of
> > overlooked bug of installer.  nano and nvi are in /usr/bin.
>
> s/installer/debootstrap/

Yes, thast is more precise.

> And debootstrap just installs the base system based on package
> characteristics (mainly priority), so it all boils down again to the
> definition of the base system.

For things like editor, we can istill review priority based on the size
and technical merits.

This should lead us to make elvis-tiny and nano-tiny important while
others should stay as optional.  We also have ed as important and cat is
always with us.  (None of the editor need to be required either.  So
removing them are also easy.)

We have system with mawk (Priority=required) but usually no gawk
(Priority=optional) nor original-awk(Priority=optional) installed.  Out
of these awk variants, original-awk seems to be the smallest.  Changing
this priority on awk just by size is something I do not want to see.
But we can still do that with editor.

So instead of adding more editor to our base by boosting packasge"s
priority, we should have priority set to optional for most editors exept
nano-tiny and elvis-tiny.  (c)debootstrap should only install these 2
editors except talled otherwise.  That is my observation.

Osamu