Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
> [...] In the very same post Joey correctly added:
>   It's now only marginally larger than nvi [...]

167% is a rather big margin, isn't it?

> I asked Joey, as one of the installer maintainer, and for him the size
> increase is not a problem. If it is a problem for the CD builders, they
> can speak in this thread. If it is not a problem for these people, why
> is it a problem for you?

If one is honest and says that vim-tiny will replace nvi because
the decision-makers prefer it, then that's fine, but this
doesn't look like a technically-based decision.  It doesn't
seem supported by current data to claim that vim-tiny isn't
a real size increase, or that this doesn't mean most vi users
(both vim-fans and vim-haters) will want to install another vi
besides the default one.

Are there many vi users who will just use vim-tiny?
Most "small vi" users don't seem to like vim, IME.

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask