Re: /run vs. /lib/run

On Thursday 22 December 2005 20:58, "Miquel van Smoorenburg"
<miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:
> Well actually, perhaps we should not even use mount --move. Just
> copying the files is enough:

Copying the files won't work well if some of them are open at the time...

> There are 2 conditions for programs using "early /var/run",
> if they are running as a daemon (eg bootlogd):
>
> 1. Don't chdir into /var/run

Why not?  mount --move works even when programs have their current directory
under the tree that's being moved.

> 2. Every so often (before every write), check if open file
>    handles for files in /var/run still correspond to the
>    actual file - compare fstat() and stat()

Not needed if mount --move is used instead of copying the files.

> The only thing is - this won't work for Debian/kFreeBSD. Someone
> needs to write MS_MOVE support for the kFreeBSD kernel, I guess :)

Or we can just require that kFreeBSD users not have a separate /var partition.
It's not as if Debian/kFreeBSD has many users.