Re: Debian Installer team monthly meeting minutes (20051214 meeting)

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 06:40:53AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> We could enhance the ifup interfaces file format to use MACs as interface
> identifiers and have an additional labeling statement. (i know it can be
> done with other means right now but I think it sould be introduced as first
> class citizen - AIUI just like suse does):

If, instead of,

> iface 00:00:C0:A1:E7:CD inet static
>      name lan0

you had

  iface lan0
       mac 00:00:C0:A1:E7:CD

>      address
>      network
>      netmask
>      broadcast
>      gateway
>      up route add -net netmask gw || true

and a pre-up command (in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/) that renames the
interface with the given mac to lan0 ("nameif $IFACE $IF_MAC"), the
above should work now.

As a bonus, "ifup lan0" is much more pleasant than "ifup 00:00:C0:A1:E7:CD"