Re: Size matters. Debian binary package stats

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:23:56PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Why would that stop working if you switch compression schemes?
> I guess tar is coded to use gzip with -z and bzip2 with -j, but why is
> there no generic way to add coders/decoders (codecs) to tar (and other
> applications that wish to use compression filters)?

Get real. gzip is probably understood by 99.9% of all installed UNIX systems
in the world, and you cannot possibly hope to get anywhere near that for a
relatively obscure alternative. (The -j flag to tar is a Debian specific
extension, BTW -- I'm not sure if the -z flag is a GNU-specific extension,
but it wouldn't surprise me.)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/