Re: State of gcc 2.95 use in Debian unstable

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:33:11AM +0100, Heiko Müller wrote:
> We found that gcc-2.95 -Os produces object code of acceptable quality
> within reasonable compilation times. gcc >=3 is less efficient w.r.t.
> compilation time and memory consumption and in many cases even fails
> to compile our codes due to the very long expressions.

Note that there were considerable improvements done in gcc 3.4 and gcc 4.0
with regard to compilation speed (in particular in non-optimizing builds);
you might want to re-test with GCC 4.x if you haven't already.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/