Re: *** POKED TIMER ***
* Marc Haber:
> May I ask why you pollute the general development mailing list for
The comment in the code is:
* This is a temporary (probably) hack to fix a bug on tru64 5.1
* and 5.1a. Sometimes, pthread_cond_timedwait() doesn't actually
* return when the time expires, so here, we check to see if
* we're 15 seconds or more behind, and if we are, we signal
* the dispatcher. This isn't such a bad idea as a general purpose
* watchdog, so perhaps we should just leave it in here.
It could be a BIND bug (somewhat unlikely, it didn't appear on the
bind-users list), a libc or kernel bug, or simply an overloaded
system. Asking on -devel for such cross-package issues should be
okay, I think.
Technically, the BIND code is wrong because pthread_cond_timedwait is
not guaranteed to return within 15 seconds after the requested
timeout. But if this happens without extremely high load, something
fishy is going on.